CODE OF PROFESSIONALISM
As a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, I shall
- Always remember that the practice of law is first and foremost a profession
- Encourage respect for the law, the courts, and the right to trial by jury
- Always remember that my word is my bond and honor my responsibilities to serve as an officer of the court and protector of individual rights
- Contribute time and resources to public service, public education, charitable and pro bono activities in my community
- Work with the other members of the bar, including judges, opposing counsel, and those whose practices are different from mine, to make our system of justice more accessible and responsive
- Resolve matters and disputes expeditiously, without unnecessary expense, and through negotiation whenever possible
- Keep my clients well-informed and involved in making decisions affecting them
- Achieve and maintain proficiency in my practice and continue to expand my knowledge of the law
- Be respectful in my conduct toward my adversaries
- Honor the spirit and intent, as well as the requirements of applicable rules or codes of professional conduct, and shall encourage others to do so.
To download the ABOTA Code of Professionalism, click here.